Feb 5th 2023 – Email* from Board of Trustees (BOT) to Congregation
Nominations & Applications for Serving on UUCWNC’s Settled Minister Search Team (SMST)
How to Apply for SMST Participation:
The Board of Trustees invites qualified congregants to nominate and/or apply themselves or others for this important role.
If you have any questions or feedback please email email@example.com or feel free to contact a Board of Trustees member in person or by phone.
Deadline is February 20, 2023 for submitting nominations or applications to the Board of Trustees.
The UUCWNC Board of Trustees is soliciting nominations to serve on our Settled Minister Search Team (SMST). For those considering applying themselves, the following will help define the responsibilities of serving on the SMST, the time commitment, and the qualifications expected from those selected to serve.
We encourage you to also consider and nominate fellow congregants whom you believe are well qualified to be a member of the SMST. Speak to them about why you think they would be good for this role, gauge their willingness to participate and encourage them to complete a nomination form.
Time Expectations for SMST Participation:
Find the major milestones – the Settled Minister Search Team Timeline – Summer 2023 to Spring 2024 on our Minister Search page. A complete description of each step is contained in the UUA’s Settlement Handbook.
Each ‘Step’ will require significant energy, time and effort from every SMST member. All SMST participants must be able to meet with the team on a regular weekly schedule plus be able to participate in interviews, evaluation discussions, offer preparation, host visiting candidates, finalize offers and secure, and welcome our next settled minister.
Qualifications for SMST Participation:
We seek applicants who represent all facets of our congregation. The more our SMST represents our congregation, the more likely a positive outcome.
Summary of the qualifications:
- Can commit to time required from Spring 2023 to Fall 2024
- Committed to the principles of Unitarian Universalism
- Committed to shaping a clear and strong future for UUCWNC
- Good active listener; seeks to understand the perspectives of others
- Willing and able to collaborate in a team environment that requires a give-and-take of views and perspectives.
- Create and support an SMST team agenda; does NOT come with an intractable view of how ‘search’ should be run or what our congregation needs
- Bring positive energy to the team
- Willing and able to assess ministerial candidate qualifications
- Familiar with Word or Excel or has other technical skills to help create a dynamic presentation and information package to describe our congregation.
The SMST would benefit from a mix of SMST of both more recent members and long tenured members. There is no requirement on participation on other UUCWNC committees/teams; while all SMST participants must be UUWNC members, there is no requirement on tenure. Again, we hope to have a nice balance of SMST participants who are deeply engaged in other UU activities along with those who may not be as fully involved but are otherwise committed to the mission.